Thursday, June 14, 2012

Query First

According to the rules of the magazine writing game as they have been presented to me, one should send a query about an idea to a magazine.  One shouldn't write an article until the magazine asks for the piece. 

In theory, this saves a lot of time and effort for the writer because they don't have to write anything that hasn't been commissioned.

That's all well and good.  But what if I feel like writing something and no one has asked for anything yet? 

Let's see.  I can write more queries (practical, but not overly satisfying).  I could write short stories for contests and magazines (fun, but no guarantee of acceptance).  I could write just for the joy of it and not expect anyone else to pay for it, publish it, or even read the thing. 

As much as I would love to spend my time replacing my current paycheck with other income, or supplementing what I earn, sometimes I just want to spill something on the page and not worry about who it's for or who else will see it.

Or I could come back to my blog more frequently.  I apologize for the lengthy absence.  I haven't taken a break in my classes for almost a year now and have three more 6-week classes in my immediate future.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment