Thursday, April 19, 2012

Uncle Tom's High School Doorframe

If the old high school were still standing, this would be the side of the doorway on the inside of the building.  Uncle Tom Droege went through these doors, probably on a regular basis.  That is cool enough, but it has also inspired several stories.

If I start with the line, "Any doorway left to itself will define its own space," I can wander off in so many directions I could write stories from that for the rest of my life.  Time travel, interdimensional travel, gateway to other planets, alternate universes, fog/mist stories... 

This doorway inspires me.  I'm glad I took some pictures, because a local winery took the arch and moved it a mile away.  Although the door still stands apart from any other structure, there is now a wall behind it, and it loses something visually.  The base of the doorway, the sidewalk and the steps leading up to it are also dug up.  I miss this artifact more than I can say.  It always made my day more interesting to walk by it.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment