Monday, October 24, 2011

Northern Lights

A couple of times when I was young, Mother called me outside at night to see the northern lights.  It was always amazing to see the flicker and play of the aurora.

Tonight I spread out a sheet in the living room and brushed Buddy out really well.  I took the sheet out to shake the hair away and saw northern lights - in southern Indiana!  I had no idea they would be visible this far south.

The lights started with columns of a pale light reaching up above the Big Dipper which was hanging low in the sky.  Then the lights turned red, then stronger red and spread wider to the east and west.  The whole thing thinned until it resembled a heavy, reddish fog and finally faded away entirely.

Mother always said that a red aurora meant war.  Perhaps that came from the red auroras that appeared when Germany bombed London and again on December 7th, 1941, the day Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.  She would have remembered those events personally. 

I am aware that solar flares are the main cause of northern lights.  I also believe that God hangs signs and wonders in the sky.  We'll have to see if the omen holds true this time.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment