Sunday, February 5, 2012

Dancing

I wasn't raised to be demonstrative in church. In fact, I was once scolded for singing so happily that I was "almost dancing".  Nowdays, I try to leave no doubt about whether or not I'm dancing.

When we lived in Woodstock, IL, (I was in my early 50's) we used to sit behind one of the godliest and most fun women it has ever been my privilege to know.  She sang with all her heart even if her voice wasn't perfect.  She moved to the music and amen-ed during the sermon.  I told her more than once, "Bessy, when I grow up, I want to be just like you."  She still keeps her feet on the ground and her heart in heaven.  I love that woman.

The point of putting these two memories together is this - David danced before God and God was pleased.  Miriam and the women danced before God after crossing the Red Sea and God was pleased. 

And God dances over us.  In Zeph. 3:17 it says, "The Lord Thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in His love, He will joy over thee with singing."  My understanding of the literal meaning of the word translated as "joy" is "to dance, spinning around".  If God dances with joy over us, how can we keep from dancing with joy over Him?

Someone once told me, "If Christians worshipped properly, they wouldn't have to work out in a gym."

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment