Sunday, February 3, 2013

Nearly There

Back in July, I started crocheting again after hurting my right hand just before Christmas.  I decided to get a little ahead on the prayer shawls and lap robes for hospice.  Our church collects baby blankets for the neonatal ward at Riley's Children's Hospital and the above mentioned shawls for hospice.  We have a service at Valentine's Day when the handiwork is prayed over and sent out to the intended destinations. 

I took a notion to count the weeks from the time I started crocheting until Valentine's Day and came up with 29 weeks.  I figured I would be able to average one shawl or lap robe per week.

Somewhere in there, I managed to wear out the tendons in my left shoulder.  No surprise, as I was turn ing out more than two a week.  During the 29 weeks, I would take off a couple of days here and a week there to rest my joints.  I never picked up my crochet hook once between November 17th and December 15th. 

At that point, I had finished 25 prayer shawls/lap robes, two full-sized afghans, three baby blankets, and a couple of scarves.

After taking a month off, I started craving yarn again, so I tried to fill up my promise of 29 shawls for the church project.  Since I had given 4 of the previous shawls to other people, I still needed to make another 9 shawls or lap robes. (I also made two doll blankets for my great-niece's Christmas present.)

Today I am halfway through number 29.

Here are some of the ones I recently finished.  I didn't take a picture of a turquoise granny triangle or a sage green lap robe.



The yellow and brown one in the upper photo was done in Bavarian crochet.  That is a very labor-intensive stitch and one I won't be repeating any time soon.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

2 comments:

  1. Trinity LOVES her baby blankets! She even uses them for herself sometimes. Lol! She is blanket crazy! Both kids love their stuffed animals too! Thank you so much for the gifts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure. You made an excellent suggestion and I was happy to do it.

      Delete