Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In My Time

Shortly before I was born, my grandfather sold the plow horses to buy a small tractor for his quarter section family farm.  Everything in that sentence has gone out of date in my lifetime!  In my mother's time, she went from outhouses ( in South Dakota in winter, brrr!) and heating the house with a wood burning kitchen stove (had to have at least one window cracked open even in winter for an oxygen supply) to our well insulated, state of the art heating systems which turn on and off automatically.  She rode in a Model T.  Propeller planes began to take passenger flights here and there in the country. 

By the time I was in fifth grade, man had circled the earth in a space ship and, before I went to college, people had placed footprints on the surface of the moon.  As a college student, only the very dedicated learned about computers.  The mainframes took up spacious rooms and had to be programmed with a special language on punch cards.  Now we have hand-held computers of all sorts from iphones to e-readers that access the world in under a second.

In Daniel, there is a verse that I have been pondering lately.  Daniel 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased. KJV

I can't even reasonably ask how much more knowledge can be increased.  At the rate it's going, no one will be able to learn generalities.  We will all have to specialize in something so that we will be able to know anything at all.  As for running to and fro, among other examples of travel in general, there are real estate agents that keep a file of people to whom they have sold houses.  At the end of five years, they call those people back and tell them that it's time for them to move again.  Very few people live anywhere near their relatives anymore. 

The most telling sign of all is the re-establishment of Israel as a nation in 1948. No other nation in history has ever come back to its land and re-established a language long since gone out of use, let alone after 2,000 years. See Ezekiel 37, Jeremiah 31:21, and Amos 9:11-15 for examples of verses about the restoration of Israel.

I believe this is what Jesus was talking about when He said, "This generation shall not pass away until all these things have happened." Matthew 24:34  That generational count began in 1948.  Those people are 63 now.

And in the end, all I can ask myself is, "How much longer do we have to wait until the "end" arrives?"  I can hardly wait!

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment