Friday, July 13, 2012

The Great Bird Famine

It's been dry here for so long that everything has dried up.  The robins have mostly vanished.  I attribute that to the fact that the worms have gone deep to stay cool and find some moisture. Likewise the seed-eating birds look like they've been on a diet.  Skinny birds kept coming to our tree stump where they found food during the winter.

I finally couldn't take it anymore.  I bought birdseed and am now supplying an entire flock of sparrows, a few mourning doves, and a couple of cardinals.  I'm through 20 pounds of birdseed in just over a week.

Here's what is now entertaining the little black dog again:



The birds are not looking quite so thin anymore.  God willing, it will rain soon and something that the birds will eat will begin to grow again.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment