Saturday, August 13, 2011

Fan Letter

Almost a decade ago, the picture book Chickens May Not Cross the Road and Other Crazy But True Laws came out in print.  In that time, I have received two - count them - two fan letters from children.  Today I received the second one.  The sad part of that is that it was mailed to me in April.  This letter, which was sent to Houghton Mifflin first, took four months to get from the child to me.  I answered it and had a response in the mail the same day. 

I am disturbed that I was not able to give that child the benefit of a quick response.  What if the letter was written to me in order to complete a report on an author?  That opportunity is past and a new school year has started.  Children accomplish emotional and rational growth during a summer.  What if my book is now too young for that child and he's no longer interested in an answer from me?

In case you have ever written to someone you admired and didn't get a quick response, please understand that it might not be the fault of the one you wrote to but rather the staff surrounding that person.  Those of us who are not exactly overwhelmed with admiration are thrilled to hear from our readers. 

Thanks, Cody.  You made my whole week.

Kathi


1 comment:

  1. Aww. I'd say he did make your whole week!

    ReplyDelete