Monday, September 5, 2011

There's Something about September

Yesterday it was hot.  The last few days it's been in the neighborhood of a hundred degrees.  Today it is cooler, the cold front having come through last night.

Every year, there is a point at which I start planning ahead.  Today I bought enough honey from a friend of ours "to last through the winter".  From here until snow, I will put things by "to last through winter". 

I can still find robins if I look for them.  The trees haven't starting turning in earnest yet.  The grass is green, and there is no promise that the weather will stay cool, but I am planning for winter.

Maybe that's because we lived 8 miles out in the country when I was young and we kept a pretty well stocked pantry and big freezer.  There was no promise that the snow plows would get to our road inside of three days should we get a big snow. 

Maybe it's because I am the daughter of a farm boy and the child of Depression babies.  The Great Depression shaped the outlook of the children who lived through those years.  Some of them still won't throw things away, because they might find a use for it.  They learned to reuse, repurpose, invent, and make do with things today's children don't look at twice.  Anyone who thinks the previous generations didn't have "green" motivations hasn't spent any time with their grand- and great-grandparents.  Those people were the thriftiest, least wasteful people in the last century and a half.

We could take a lesson from the Depression babies. Here are my mother's three rules for buying anything:
1. Do you need it? 2. Can you get along without it? 3. Can you afford it?

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment