Thursday, August 16, 2012

Bat in the House

I'm sorry to say that a bat got into the house last night.  At first it was only in the kitchen, having come in through the back door when we were letting the dogs out.  I closed off the room as best I could and we tried to shoo it back outside. 

We have a kitchen door leading to a narrow concrete landing above the basement stairs.  Then there is a door beyond that going out to the backyard.

The bat left the kitchen, and we thought it had made it completely out into its natural habitat.  I quickly followed and closed the kitchen door.  Unfortunately, the bat made a u-turn and got itself between the door and the jamb just as I shut the door.

I was going around opening the utility room door and taking deep breaths again when I noticed a dark, raggy-looking thing at the top of the kitchen door.  The bat had one point of a wing sticking out and its little mouth (with nasty looking teeth, I might add) was opening and closing.

I opened the door to let it out.  It flew into the living room, made a u-turn, and then I lost sight of it.  It could have flown up the steps to the second floor bedrooms.  I went up and looked around, but you know that bats can hide in tiny, dark places.  I closed off every door on the second floor, so that whatever room that creature was in, it would stay there.  I was hoping it wasn't in the rooms required for sleeping. And sleeping seemed slightly out of the question with a bat loose in the house.

Abby kept nosing around Les's desk in the middle room on the main floor.  Since I was sure the bat was upstairs, I didn't really pay attention.  Both dogs were acting a bit odd, but I chalked it up to their having had their heartworm pills that morning and the recent bat ruckus.

Eventually, I was doing something in the middle room and I found the bat.  It was lying on the floor, all unnatural angles and not moving.  We scooped up the poor thing's body and disposed of it before the dogs could decide it was a toy.

I hope no more bats fly into the house.  It makes my stomach all gritty to think of being a bat killer.  I appreciate the bug-eating that they do - as long as they do it outside.

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

1 comment: