Saturday, August 18, 2012

Volunteer Watermelons

Last summer, my Kentucky sister gave us a watermelon when we went down to visit her in September.  I threw some of the seeds out in my garden and watched them start to grow this summer.  We had a bad year for drought.  I watered, but it was so hot, the tomoatoes looked like they were baking on the vine.  The watermelons obviously didn't get the amount of water they needed, but they grew as best they could.

First they started by growing up and over the fence.  Since I wasn't completely positive that they were watermelons, I didn't keep them on the ground where they belonged.

Here's what these rogue melons are doing:




If they grow any bigger, they will break the vines they are growing on. 

Thanks for visiting with me,

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment