Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Creed for Heroes

This morning our pastor challenged us to accomplish God's work in God's timing. 

One of the quotes he used was from Dean Inge, "Christianity is a creed for heroes and we are harmless, good-natured little people who want everybody to have a good time.”

Pastor told a story of his youth when he and a friend worked in a cemetery mowing the grass and taking care of the place.  He said the two of them ran across more than their share of hornets' nests.  They would devise creative ways to get rid of the insects.  They drowned them, burned the nests, and once tried to blow them up.  And every time, they got stung.  When you stir up hornets, you get stung. 

While no "harmless, good-natured person" wants to get stung, if I pair Mr. Inge's quote with the verse, "If God is for us, who can be against us?" (Romans 8:32), I find that I have some serious thinking to do.

I'm a lot more Andrew than I am Peter.  I work more quietly, one on one, Sunday school teacher, shawl-making, hand-holding friend.  I don't stir quite so many hornets at once, but, on thinking back, I've run into some opposition and not backed down.

I still believe I'm doing what I've been called to do.  I'll just keep a sharper eye out for more opportunities.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment