Friday, June 24, 2011

Dog Stew Recipe

This morning, I was swapping dog stories with a lady at the post office.  We each have a dog who throws up when switched to a new brand of dog food.  She was interested in the recipe for homemade dog food, so I'll share it with you, too.

In a 6 quart crock pot:

* 2 lbs. meat
* *2 lbs. vegetables
1 cup apple juice/cider (no sugar added)
1 cup or so of plain yogurt ( I use nonfat)
4 eggs, more or less beaten
1 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
1 1/2 cup brown rice
3 - 3 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup olive or corn oil (optional)

Cook it on high for 3 1/2 hours or 8 - 10 hours on low.

* Meat options
Salmon, mackerel, tuna, ground meat, ground turkey, ham, turkey ham, chicken gizzards, (liver turns to sludge, but the dogs love it), any meat-no bones.  You can use 1 lb. of meat and 8 eggs instead.
The dogs love it when I make dog bread with natural peanut butter, but I don't know if that would work in the crock pot.

**Vegetable options  -   Absolutely no onions!!!
Frozen (thaw at least a little)
Mixed vegs, green beans, peas and carrots, spinach, chopped broccoli
Canned
Diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, pumpkin

This is what my dogs LOVE!!!  Buddy used to get rashes and hot spots.  He doesn't anymore.  Abby used to steal cooling food, and I swear she was eating dirt in the backyard.  She doesn't even dig anymore.  The coats on both dogs have gotten softer and Buddy doesn't seem to shed as much. Both dogs are calmer and have better attitudes on life.  We aren't making as many trips to the vet. 

The dogs each get a dog vitamin once a day.  Buddy, being bigger and older and needing more joint support, also gets dog glucosamine.  I understand that it's the same as human glucosamine, but tastes better.  He chases Abby like a puppy again.

Please feel free to use this recipe on your own dogs, but I will be annoyed if my recipe goes on the market to someone else's profit.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog! Steven didn't tell me about it! Ha! Umm... I found out the hard way that dogs aren't supposed to eat onions. We don't normally feed our dog human food (with a kid, though, it sometimes happens!) but, my Dad was sneaking and giving our dog onions. Every time he did, Dottie would act like she was going to die!

    ReplyDelete