Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dumping My Moving Boxes

When I married Les, I lived in that house for three years.  Then we moved to New Hampshire.  Our NH house had a wood burner.   I started cutting apart my moving boxes to use as kindling.  Maybe, I was a third of the way through my boxes after three years, when we moved back to Illinois.  Sigh!

I was thrilled to be back at the school I helped to start.  That lasted for - guess what - three years.

One day, Les called me and said, "We're moving to Indiana." 

"What?"  That was the first I'd heard of even a thought of moving.  By now, I knew better than to get rid of my boxes.  In fact, since they were all marked, I now knew which things fit into which box. 

As we settled into the house where we live now, I flattened all of my moving boxes and didn't even consider getting rid of them.  I refused to plant rhubard or asparagus because I was sure that they would take their three years to mature and I would be gone before I could enjoy them.



Then my sister Lori gave me a baby Rose of Sharon bush that she'd started from her own bush.  I figured out the best spot for it and planted it.  I thought, well, maybe I could take it with us when we moved again.  The year after that, I planted asparagus.  It was advertised to be a two year harvest crop.  Also my mother sent me some lilies that I really love from her own garden.  I don't think I've ever seen this particular type anywhere else.  One more season later, I broke down and put in some creeping phlox and rhubard.  We'd just built a new shed and it cried out for rhubard on the south side.

This May, we passed the six year mark in the same house.  My plants and I have put down some pretty good roots.  And I still have my moving boxes.  I'm beginning to feel like dumping them is the next step to take. 

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment