Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day - 2011

My daughter Angela sent her father an e-card with a talking squirrel.  It was the kind where you can write the script and choose the squirrel's voice.  Angela had the squirrel refer to an event that happened at IHOP several years ago.

A woman was walking around the restaurant blowing up balloons and making animals out of them.  As Angela was a bit too old to enjoy this particular activity, the woman passed our table.  We couldn't miss, however, when she stopped at another table and asked if the child wanted a Rocky or Bullwinkle balloon.  Except what she actually said was , "Would you like Rocky or Bull-winkie?"  We almost fell out of the booth laughing so hard.

This morning, the squirrel referred to Bull-winkie, and both of us absolutely lost it again.  It was an excellent way to start the day.

When I was teaching and Angela was in the lower grades (I taught her in third grade), I used to watch her father come to school to eat lunch with her.  Since he worked second shift, it was a few precious minutes he could see her.  It was a small, newly-formed Christian school and there was no difficulty with him coming in during the day.  I used to tell her, "You have a good father."

My father wasn't so emotionally open.  I may have missed that part of being Daddy's daughter, but he never missed an opportunity to take care of us.  I remember him going out at 3 in the morning when it was -10 degrees outside to warm up our cars so they would start when we had to get to school or work.  He was a good man, my father.  I wanted to put that in writing.

I love you, Daddy.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi


Pictures - top Les and Angela  Bottom: My father, mother, and me at a MUCH younger age

No comments:

Post a Comment