Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Best Part about Israel

After I'd spent a couple of days in Israel, I caught myself reading my Bible under the covers with a flashlight after my roommates had gone to sleep.  Seeing the land itself settled for me the extreme accuracy of the Book. 

If we look at a map, we say that the Galilee is north or "up from" Jerusalem.  Yet the Bible says Jesus went up from Galilee to Jerusalem.  That sounds backwards until you take into account the landforms.  Galilee is close to sea level while Jerusalem is up on a hill surrounded by several hills.  You literally ascend in altitude when going from the north to the south.

Here's another one:  "A man was going from Jerusalem down to Jericho..." (Parable of The Good Samaritan).  In fact, you go so far down that your ears will pop a few times while making the trip.  The Dead Sea, just south of Jericho, is 1388 feet below sea level, the lowest point on dry land.

If even the prepositions are correct, then so must be every other word as well.

The most important part of the trip to me was this:  I've been to the tomb - and it's empty.  Nothing solidifies my faith more than the empty garden tomb.  Seen it, touched it, been in it.  Very awesome!!!

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment