Sunday, July 17, 2011

Silent Mosquitoes

I hate mosquitoes.  That makes me normal in most circles - at least on that topic.  The thing is, I hate the ones in southern Indiana worse than the ones in northern Illinois.

Why? you may ask. 

How often have I heard that high-pitched whine and dove for cover or under the covers, as the case may be.  At least the little pests up north give you fair warning.  And you have a fighting chance of figuring out where they plan to land so you can swat them away.

Down here, there is a race of mosquitoes that fly silent - stealth biters.  I was outside last evening talking with a neighbor and caught myself rubbing my legs with one shoe or the other because they started to itch horribly.  We parted company rather unceremoniously and ran for our respective doors to get away from the nasty critters that were eating us alive. 

The best and simplest thing I've found to take down the itch is to wash the area with a cold cloth, dry it and then put on some rubbing alcohol.  You still have to endure the itch for a minute or two while the alcohol works, but then the bites go away.  I was bitten several times last night and have no welts this morning.

I understand that the west coast has very few mosquitoes because the water running off the mountains has very little time to stand still and allow the pests to breed.  But I'm not sure I'd want to trade them for the earthquakes and massive fires and interesting politics.  Rubbing alcohol is less complicated.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment