Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Bit of Great-Grandpa

I have been told that Great-grandpa was the owner and head chef of an inn in Austria-Hungary.  The Emperor Franz Josef used to stay there when he travelled and Great-grandpa cooked for him.  This same great-grandfather sold his business and moved to Alberta, Canada, near Edmunton where my grandmother remembered him trading goods with the natives. 

I've always enjoyed being a little creative with food.  I can mix flavors in my head and know what they will taste like when I finish.  Once, I horrified my mother when I invented something entirely new and made it for a family party. 

It went something like this:

Take a large cookie sheet. Grease it.  Put down a fine layer of flour and a little salt and pepper. Slice apples thin and make a layer of the slices.  Lay chicken pieces on the apples.  Top the chicken with pear slices (I recall using canned pears.)  Thinly cover with more flour, salt and pepper.  Bake at 350 until finished - about 1 hour.  Drain off the worst of the grease and serve.

Everybody loved the chicken!  Eventually, my mother asked me where I had found the recipe.  I told her that I made it up.  "You made food for a party that you'd never tried before?!!!!" Here's where the horrified face appeared.

"Yes." I was perfectly matter-of-fact.

"How did you know it would turn out good??!!"  More horror at the thought.

"I knew what it would taste like in my head."

She didn't understand, and I didn't know that not everyone could do that.

Please don't look for me on one of the cooking challenges.  I'd never make it on Hell's Kitchen, or Chopped, or any of the others, but I do know how to make tasty food.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

P.S.  Add a little cinnamon to your chocolate chip cookie dough.  It makes a world of difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment