Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Children Listen

When I was teaching and then when I had a daughter, I used to think that sometimes children listened to you and sometimes they didn't.  I was wrong.

Children always listen to you.  Whether they appreciate what you say, whether they follow your advice, that's another matter.  But be assured, they will be able to recite back every word you utter for years to come.

I personally have my mother's voice in my head at the most inopportune times.  Usually when I want to do something willful.  Yes, still - on both counts.

I've taught lessons to children I swore were sleeping, only to have them repeat the lesson a year later.

And Angela quotes things I've told her when we chat. 

I'm very glad that one thing my mother told me was that if I didn't love children, I should not be a teacher.  Well, I always did and I tried to apply that to mothering, too.  That way, when "my children" quote me, I get a lot of love back.

Don't ever bet they aren't listening.  You'll be surprised someday.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment