Tuesday, July 19, 2011

My Locket

Once a long time ago, I had a student in second grade who loved God.  I could say a lot of other things about her - like she was always one of my favorites - but other information won't help you understand this particular story.

I also had a favorite heart-shaped locket that was a gift from my mother.  I could wear it with almost anything, so it was frequently around my neck.

My young student  asked me one day, "Miss Eickstadt, what's inside your locket?"

I opened the heart and showed her that I had no pictures in it. 

She looked at me with wise old eyes and said, "Miss Eickstadt, it's not good to have an empty heart."

She went back to her desk and, though I was moved by her wisdom, I figured that was the end of the episode.  But it wasn't. 

Not too much later, she brought me a tiny, tiny paper heart cut with second-grade hands.  On the heart was written in second-grade printing the name of Jesus.  She helped me install the small masterpiece in my locket.

A few years later, I was once again wearing the same locket, when my girl asked me if I still had the heart she'd made in my necklace.  I carefully opened the locket and showed her her handiwork.  She offered to make me a new one - one that would have a smoother cut and better handwriting.  I told her that there was no way in the world that she could improve on her original gift.

I still have that little scrap of paper in my locket.  My heart is not empty anymore.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

1 comment: