Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fog

This morning, it's either foggy or very, VERY humid.  In my opinion, it's both. 

There's a bit of weather lore that I have to remind myself of before August 1st.  I need to count the fogs in August.  That will tell me how many snows there will be this winter.  Last year, we had a very foggy August with 13 fogs.  Not all of them were clamp-down, can't-see-anything fogs.  Most of them were just really thick air. 

Once we got into November, I started counting the snowfalls - anything measurable.  It started snowing around Thanksgiving and pretty much didn't stop until the end of March.  There were 13 measurable snows.  The last couple weren't much, but they were enough to count.

After Christmas, the school kids didn't attend a complete week of school until well into February.  Boy, did they have snow days to make up!

So now I've reminded myself before the month of August begins.  I'll mark my calendar all month so I have an accurate count.

Anyone want to try it out for themselves?  Will it work where you live?

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ivy, I learned this one from your mother-in-law. Small world, eh?
    Kathi

    ReplyDelete