Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Israeli Music

In 1983, when I was on a tour of Israel, everyone on the bus was given a tape of Israeli music.  I love singing and the music, being in a minor key, has a wonderful, haunting sound. 

I listened to that tape until I had all the songs memorized.  I'm sure that I wasn't pronouncing all the Hebrew words correctly, but it was okay because no one I hung around with would know the difference.

Then, some years later, I married a man raised as a Jew but converted to Christianity.  Now and again, we go to family events like bar and bat mitzvahs.  The ceremony reminds me of a traditional church service.  There is a section that resembles a liturgy followed by scripture readings and a sermon.

Much to my amazement, when the congregation started singing, I recognized the songs.  I'd spent years learning the same music from the Israeli tapes.  God prepared me for my husband's family.  Not one of them understood how I knew the words to the songs they sang in synagogue.  I have to admit - I felt much more at home with them once I found out I could share their worship.

I wonder sometimes just how old those songs are.  Might they be old enough that Jesus would have sung them when He went to service?

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment