Thursday, July 7, 2011

Garden



About four years ago, my Kentucky sister Lori made a cutting from her own rose of Sharon bush and sent it to me for my yard.  I've seen them around here, so I knew the plant would be able to grow in my area.  Here it is this short time later, taller than I am by now and full of flowers for such a young thing.

Thanks again, Lori.  I love it!


I like spaghetti squash on occasion and one time I saved the seeds.  There are several squashes growing on my five vines.  I may have to share some squashes with my friends, as there looks to be an excellent crop.
The weed-inhibiting tarp (Weed-ex? Something like that) reduces weeding in the garden and keeps the ground-growing veggies clean.


Some old Wal-mart bags tied around the base and hung upside down make great scarecrows.  Once I watched an evil bird swoop down into my garden and pluck a baby cucumber plant right in front of me! 

I string yarn across the garden above the planting hills.  I hang a garden ghost above each hill.  The birds can't quite make out if the ghosts are dangerous or not, so they leave my plants alone.  If you try this, make sure you cut the handle loops.  If you don't they can catch on growing leaves and damage them on a windy day. Garden ghosts are much quieter than pie pans.  I'm not sure if they scare rabbits though.  Hence the fence.

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

No comments:

Post a Comment