Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pickle Dilemma

I have five or six cucumber vines growing in the garden.  There are only two of us.  How much can we eat by ourselves?  I've shared a few cucumbers with my pastor and coworkers.  The ripe fruit come on about 5 or six at a time.  That isn't enough to warrant hauling out a lot of canning equipment.

If I'm not going to put up the pickles in sealed jars, I have two other options.  I can used up space in my refrigerator with my recipe for refrigerator pickles or I can make what we used to call "pickle-sickles".  I have a recipe for freezer pickles.

I would never have opted for freezing them before this, but we recently got a compact box freezer.  My brother thinks it's too small to be of much use, but I'm not planning to freeze a whole cow.  So "pickle-sickles" it is.

This recipe came from my Aunt Florence.  I don't know where she got it.  I know her mother was a pickling ace.  Grandma pickled watermelon rind and those runaway cucumbers that she turned into "slippery jacks".

So here's what I'm doing this early afternoon.

Freezer Pickles

2 qts. cucumbers, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
2 Tbsp. canning salt

Mix together in a large bowl.  Cover with ice cubes and let stand for 2-3 hours. 
Remove any unmelted ice cubes. Drain well.

Mix with 1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 teaspoon dill weed.

Put in cartons and freeze.

M-m-m-m, tasty!

Thanks for visiting with me.

Kathi

1 comment:

  1. I got your package yesterday! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete